It is mine to avenge; I will repay . . . Deut. 32: 35
Flashback: memories of some not so pleasant incidences . . .
1978, squatter area behind Peel Road, Pudu: It was very dark at night. I almost collided with a bicycle without lights coming swiftly towards me down a narrow path. I had my bicycle lamp switched on, and so the cyclist should have noticed me easily. Instead of apologizing, he swore at me with some very strong expletives.
1991, PJ: A rich man's luxury car arrived and double parked closely to a family car, with occupants still inside, even when the other car is about to leave the bay. When the father of that family protested, the rich man retorted, "Can't you reverse out the other way?", and walked across the road without looking back. The poor father and his family were left wondering how to get their vehicle out of the narrow space.
Last week, on the PLUS Highway, coming back from KLIA:
It was drizzling and the road was getting wet. Thankfully, the highway had recently been upgraded and it's now three lanes each way until Slim river. I decided to keep below the 110 kmh speed limit while driving on the middle lane, so that I can avoid slow heavy vehicles on the left lane, while still allowing fast cars to overtake on the right.
Suddenly, a pick-up lorry came very near to my car from behind. The driver honked, and flashed its headlamps furiously and repeatedly at me, apparently demanding that I move over to the slow left lane. But I was almost at 100kmh already. And he could have easily overtaken me on the right-hand lane! Notwithstanding, the angry flashing of headlights continued. After a couple of minutes, he decided to overtake me on the left and disappeared into the distance.
A few days ago:
My wife and I were in our car, just having passed a traffic intersection, in the newer part of our home-town, when out of nowhere a very fast Honda passed us on the left and cut in front of our car, with very little room to spare. I had to slow down quickly to avoid knocking into the Honda, which sped off soon after that.
This afternoon:
At the same traffic lights intersection as a few days ago. I was approaching the junction when a white car came out from the left hand side road and stopped in front of me, blocking my way. I had to stop too, thinking it would cross in front of me. No, instead the unfriendly looking driver stared angrily at me, expecting me to avoid him when it's my right of way on that road. Apparently, he wanted to drive on my side of the road to reach some road-side stalls nearby! I gave in to his demand, and swerved out of his way, but he continued to turn and scowl me as I passed his white car.
etc etc
Do such incidences leave you seething in anger? It does leave me feeling somewhat vengeful. Instinctively, I wish to get back at them, to give them a piece of my mind at least, and perhaps with a piece of two-by-four on their heads, if possible.
We always wonder when, if at all, God in heaven will punish these rascals for the injustice they do to others. When will they get their retribution? When is pay-back time? The answer from the apostle Paul here, quoting from the book of Deutoronomy, is to leave it for God's wrath to repay them. "I will repay . . ." is the reply from God our Father who sees everything.
The rest of Deuteronomy 32: 35, which is not quoted in Paul's writing here, says:
In due time their foot will slip;their day of disaster is nearand their doom rushes upon them
So, will there be a pay-back time for those who do evil? Yes, and indeed, for such people, that time is very near, even rushing upon them.
Knowing this helps me to understand why the Apostle taught us to refrain from taking revenge, but instead to do the contrary, by feeding our enemies when they are hungry, and giving drink to them who are thirsty. (Prov 25: 21,22). Of course, I'd find it easier to hurt my enemies than to help them, and this is an ongoing lesson to be learnt in our walk with the Lord.
Do not be overcome with evil, but overcome evil with good. Rom. 12:21
No comments:
Post a Comment